Yesterday was a day made for time off at the holidays. Since most of the family had the day off (sorry Jason), the adults (minus Mom and Alicia, plus Coleton) decided to catch a afternoon flick. I don't know about most of you, but Tara and I really liked National Treasure. I guess it's something about the mix of history (I know the movie isn't historically accurate) and treasure hunting that gets us going. Maybe it's the geocachers in us, but the high tech hide and seek is a lot of fun. Regardless, in spite of the mediocre reviews we went to Book of Secrets yesterday and had a great time.If you like the first National Treasure, you'll probably like Book of Secrets, since they are the same movie. Trade out one bad guy for another, replace one treasure for a new one, add in the mom and you've got the new movie. Even if it was fairly predictable, we had a good time and that's what you want from a holiday release.
Once we returned home to check up on the babysitters, we learned that it was time to trade roles. We would stay home and my mom and Alicia wanted to take the kids to a movie. The only problem was that Kennedy wanted to go and that meant one of us had to go as well. I guess I drew the short straw, so I went back to the theater I had just left to see Alvin and the Chipmunks.Naturally, the movie was sold out, so we got back in the car and went to another theater to find the popular kids' show. Deja vu set in as we went to the Holiday Cinema. If you recall the same thing happened the last time I took Kennedy to a movie, last summer's Ratatouille. Once we waited around to see that show, Kennedy was so bored that by the time the movie started, she was done.
I guess it truly was a day of repeats. As much as Dede wanted to see the show, that's how much she wanted out once it actually started. We went to the bathroom twice, got three drinks of water, and I had to beg Kennedy to stay for the final 45 minutes of the show. I would have left, but I didn't drive to this one. I should have learned my lesson last time - Kennedy is not ready to go to the movies yet.
Somewhere in between the trips to the lobby, I caught enough of the movie to know that singing chipmunks aren't really my style. Even though I liked the cartoon as a child, I did not like the movie as an adult.
My final reviews for the day - One thumbs up for a historically inaccurate, but entertaining film. One thumbs down for trips to the bathroom, drinks from the fountain, and exploiting talking rodents.
1 comment:
I agree with the National Treasure rating. Although it would be a BIG thumbs up from me. I really enjoyed it. However, you will not find me in a theater with singing chipmunks, not matter how much the kids beg. :)
Post a Comment