12/9/07

Lights, Action....Wait Something's Missing

For the past two weeks Kennedy has been talking non stop about her dance concert. She absolutely loves going to dance class (there have been a few moments, but we all have our moments). So, last night was the big performance at the Rose Wagner Theater. We made planned to make a night of it: riding Trax downtown, eating at a restaurant, having family come along. Everything was perfect.

I was really excited to try out the new camera with some good indoor, action shots of Kennedy dancing. I actually practiced by taking a few shots of other dancers before Kennedy's performance. Finally, it was show time. Kennedy started across the floor with her snowflake in hand, ready to dance her heart out. I took a couple of shots and suddenly, without warning, the camera went dead. Yep, we were out of batteries.

Still, no worries, we would have the video recording that Kristin was working on. In a moment befitting Murphy's Law, the video camera ran out of juice 10 seconds into Kennedy's routine. There would be no evidence of the winter dance concert. I can't tell you how upset we were with ourselves for not checking the batteries before we left.


As mad as I am for the photo faux pas, I am even more upset that I let the camera get in the way of enjoying my little girl dance across the stage. Kennedy was incredible and she did such a good job remembering her routine. I had my reservations when she started taking dance - was she too young, too shy, too uncoordinated. All of these fears are gone. Kennedy loves to dance and I love to watch her, regardless if I have any pictures or not.

2 comments:

Angee said...

Well said. I often wonder what I am missing by being the photographer. I have to mentally tell myself to just go enjoy the moment sometimes and not even worry about the camera.

Thanks for the reminder.

miche said...

Are there other parents who might have taken video or pictures you could ask for copies? I messed up Grace's first recital video and I was sick for days about it. You're right too - the camera totally gets in the way of enjoying your child.