12/30/07

Not a Typical Sunday

For the last Sunday of the year the Bishopric all decided that we would be the speakers in Sacrament Meeting; we were worried that we couldn't get anyone else to do it! Now, I can't say that I hate speaking in Church. I don't really like all the preparation associated with giving a talk, but giving the talk isn't that big of a deal.

It's kind of funny though, most people would think that members of the Bishopric speak all the time in Church, but we really don't. The last time I gave a talk in Sacrament Meeting was over two years ago and it was only a five minute talk! We are the ones who schedule the speakers, meaning I only have to speak if I'm bad at finding others to take the time. In 3 1/2 years I've never had to give an impromptu talk due to a no show.

Our theme for the meeting was: Six Habits of Highly Effective Ward Members. Pretty clever, huh. Covey needs seven, but we got it done in six. No one wanted a third topic, so splitting it three ways worked out pretty well. My two areas for the meeting were Personal History and Temple Attendance. I thought it would be appropriate since the was a big year for the blog and for us at the Temple.

I'd love to simply copy and paste my talk in this post, but I've never been very good about writing out my talks. As much as I say that I'm going to sit down and type out the entire thing - I never do. I just can't seem to focus enough to put the thoughts down in paragraph form. No matter how early I start, or how much time I put in, my talks always come out in a 3-4 page outline with quotes, scriptural references, jokes, and stories.

Overall, I think the talk went well. I shared a couple of excerpts from my journals/blog from over the years and discussed how important it is to share your life story with those around you. While discussing the temple, I got a bit emotional as I shared how my mom went through for the first time this year and how incredible it's been to be sealed to both of my children. I always think I can keep it together, but when I share things that are close to my heart, I get a bit misty. Still, I managed to get through the talk and I'm glad that I was able to share about the blessings we've received this year. It's been a great year for my family.

No comments: