7/4/07

Movie Review: Ratatouille


I probably shouldn't even call this post a movie review, since I didn't really see much of Ratatouille. Let's start off with trying to even see the film. With a day off I decided it was time to take my daughter to the movies. Of course every other parent in Salt Lake had the same plan. We tried to get into the 12 pm show at the Holiday Center only to find a line stretching around the block. No matter, there's always the Union Heights theater and they'll have it on two screens. We arrived 30 minutes early to find that both were sold out as well. Rather than give up we went back to Holiday and bought tickets to the 2:30 show. Since it was only 1 pm the line hadn't arrived yet, but we had an hour to kill so we walked over the McDonald's and bought a Happy Meal. I don't know if that's the right mood for the day we'd had up to this point.

Around 2 pm we headed back to the theater and stood in line for 10 minutes before we could get our seats. I've never seen a movie as packed as this one. Like you can imagine for every one adult there were three kids. You can tell I'm new to the kids flicks because I'm still not used to it. Anyway, the movie started and Kennedy was engrossed. It's a cute movie. Like all the other Pixar films, there's as much for the adults as the kids. About the only thing that takes some getting used to is the idea of a rat cooking your food. I don't know about you, but most of the rats I've seen having been the cleanest of rodents (if there is such a thing as a clean rodent).

As the film progressed I could tell that Kennedy was beginning to lose interest. We haven't gone to very many movies at the theater and I think she's still not into the whole experience. About the only thing that kept her going was the bucket of popcorn. Once it was out, we were in trouble. We left the movie twice, once for the potty and once for a drink, but I knew it was simply a matter of a bored two-year-old. With about 10 minutes left in the movie, Kennedy was done. In fact, she proudly declared that she would "rather go home and take a nap" than to finish watching Ratatouille. Rather than fight, I gave in and we left early. I'm not even sure how the movie ended, but I enjoyed the little I saw of it. I guess I'll have to wait until Ratatouille is out on DVD and we watch it 1000 times a month.

No comments: