7/11/07

Alone in the City

After a long day attending stirring conference sessions like: Mashing Web 2.0, Online Learning Best Practices, Using Blogs and Wikis, and Making it All Work, let's say that I was ready to get out and see some of Boston. The only problem is that I'm not much of a sightseer, especially when I'm alone. Some plans fell through to go with some friends up to Harvard, so it was all up to me. I know it sounds crazy, but I ended up walking over to Fenway Park to see what was going on. Since, baseball is on their All-Star break it was eerily silent as I strolled around the grounds. It was kind of nice to be alone. Normally it is so crowded that you don't have time to look around. I had heard about the Ted Williams statue somewhere around the park, but it was fun to have a chance to see it, as well as the banners, retired numbers, and other historic Red Sox flavor. I thought about popping into RemDawg's to grab a bite, but it was way too crowded.

After worshipping at the Park, I ventured back into town in search of something to eat. I saw a ton of different dives, but none that looked too promising. I ended up going to the California Pizza Kitchen for take out and then back to the hotel room to watch the All Star game. It's weird to watch sports so much later out here than at home. The game started about 8:30 and didn't end until almost midnight.


I think the highlight of the evening was skyping Tara and the kids. They had a full day and were ready to talk to me about it, sort of. Kennedy gave me a full report on her potty experiences, I guess there was a poop incident. Alex tried his best to eat the computer screen while attempting to get closer to me. Tara showed off her handiwork for Alex's birthday invitation. It was fun to see everyone and it made me a bit homesick. Fortunately, Tara is headed out here today and we'll be together through the weekend. I wish the whole family could come, but it's too hard and the kids won't enjoy much of what we want to do (baseball, et al) out here.

No comments: