
Freakonomics is a classic book that I failed to review a few months ago. Dr. Steven Levitt, an Economist from the University of Chicago, began exploring obscure trends that he noticed in society. Cheating within Sumo Wrestling meets, What selling drugs in Chicago and selling hamburgers at McDonalds have in common, How Roe vs. Wade helped cut violent crime in the 90’s – you know all the things you’d expect an economist to explore.
So, why am I bringing up a book I finished months ago while I’m at a conference in Boston? Dr. Levitt was the keynote speaker this morning and he gave a wonderful talk where he discussed some of the new things he’s been researching. I can’t wait to read his next book where he’ll discuss how adding social security numbers for dependants to the 1040 form saved the government 3 billion dollars a year, and what an ex-computer programmer turned call girl can teach CEO’s about having a solid business plan.
No comments:
Post a Comment