7/12/07

Blackboard in Boston

I feel compelled to write a final post about Blackboard World 2007. I have really enjoyed attending a new conference. Having gone to NECC the past 3 years, I felt like it was time for a change and I’m glad I made it. I think one of the biggest differences I’ve noticed with this conference is the lack of K-12 influence. There are some public schools and districts around the conference, but Blackboard certainly makes their market share in higher ed. I’ve found that it’s a lot easier to use my connections with the University of Utah, than as a state wide public ed technology trainer.

The presentations haven’t been that much different from the kind you’d find at any educational technology conference. Certainly the focus has been on distance and online learning, but the topics relate to any area of education. Right now I’m in a session about great online discussions, but that could just as easily relate to creating a good classroom environment. With so much of my current interest centering around the changing web, I attended sessions on Blogging, Wikis, Podcasting, Social Bookmarking, Mashing, and others. Regardless of the conference, I could have attended sessions on any of these topics. Still, it was fun to see how instructors are using these new applications in Blackboard/WebCT. I feel that this conference has opened my eyes to the ways instructors are using Blackboard/WebCT. Sometimes I get stuck in a pretty boring rut with my courses. With so many innovations in the new versions of WebCT I think it’s time I step up my courses and make them something to truly engage my students.

A thought I that won’t leave my mind: I always love talking about education and teaching with people from all around the country. It’s a great community of people to be a part of and I’m amazed how friendly everyone is. You can’ t sit by someone without finding out who they are and how they’re involved in education. It makes coming to a conference alone a lot less daunting. Another great thing about Blackboard has been connecting with some of WebCT community from Utah. I’ve bumped into Jared from Dixie, Scott from Weber, and Kevin from USU throughout my time here and it’s been fun to get to know these guys a lot better. We have some great things going on in our state and it’s awesome that Utah is on the map in distance learning (the “kick butt” session by Kevin yesterday was absolutely packed!).


I would attend the Blackboard conference again in the future (certainly not next year, since it’s in Vegas). It’s been great to see a different side of technology and education. Who’s knows where next year’s conference schedule will take me, but one thing I know for sure – every conference charges my batteries and makes me want to be a better teacher.

No comments: