
Yesterday, Tara wrote about us finally graduating from our parenting class. I've decided to share my 2 cents about the class. First of all the classes were too long, too off topic (at times), and too full of people who are too full of themselves (how many stories do we have to hear about how you were raised!). Next, explain the logic that I have to go to a class for eight weeks to learn how to be a parent, while during these classes I have to drop my kids off to be watched by someone else. "I can't be a parent right now. I have to go learn how to be a parent." That makes sense!
Still, all that being said there was a classic moment during our two months of classes. In the Discipline class a few weeks ago we were at the point where we were wrapping up and the instructor asked if anyone else had something to add before we end class. Of course there's a long pause (who wants to stay later than they have to) and then a woman on the front row raised her hand.
My husband and I have always felt strongly that we won't take our child out into the foyer when she acts out in church. Too many kids think of that as play time.
So, far so good nothing I don't agree with yet.
We think it's best to take her out to the car for a time out.
You're losing me on your strategy.
It doesn't take long to get her to quiet down. Especially on really hot days.
At this point there's a collective gasp from the rest of the class. What?! Are you admitting to a DCFS caseworker and a room full of people that you lock your child in the car when it's over 100 degrees to have her quiet down. Of course she's quiet, she probably fading in and out of consciousness.
After listening to this woman's strategy the instructor asked, "Does this work for you?" After replying that it's always worked, the teacher responded, in classic fashion, "I'm a bit troubled by you placing your child in the car. I'd recommend not doing that in the future."
Where do these people come from? Why do they want to bring innocent children into their homes? What if I am one of them (I'm not, right?)?
I am so glad the classes are over. Yes, I learned some great things about parenting, but I also learned that there are some interesting people out there!
4 comments:
I have to chime in and say there is nothing wrong with taking a kid out of sacrament meeting. Many times it is appropriate. What is wrong is to take your child out and then let them run a muck in the hallways. Of course mr. I get a cushy seat up front and have no responsibility for the kids wouldn't know about that ;-p
I would rather have someone take out their kid than have them yell and cry and make it harder to hear or focus than it already is.
No one realizes that I said "take them to the foyer". I didn't say that it was wrong to take them out of the chapel. Did we miss the real point of the story?
I got the point. Hot car bad, cold chapel (thanks to guys in suits) good. Running in hallways-bad, crying,yelling screaming in chapel bad.
Post a Comment