11/2/06

LOVE

Yesterday started out as another long day. I was at work before 8 am and left around 7 pm, having taught a workshop during the day and my college class last night. Needless to say, I wasn't in a big hurry to go out and visit members with the Bishop last night. All of that quickly changed as we entered the TICU (Thoracic Intensive Care Unit) at LDS Hospital. Verle Perry is recovering from having a valve replaced in his heart last Friday, so we visited with him last night. It was difficult to watch Verle struggle with all the tubes and machines connected to his frail body. He couldn't speak, since he is on a ventilator, so we did most of the talking. As we were preparing to leave Verle started spelling something with his finger. I couldn't make out what he was trying to say so I found a pad of paper and had Verle right out his comment. In a shaky hand he scrolled:

I LOVE YOU

Yesterday may have started out as another long day, but it ended far too soon when you're in the company of the spirit.

No comments: