11/16/06

Father of the Year?

I think I'm officially out of the running for Father of the Year after my bonehead move from last night. After another 12 hour day at work I went to pick up Kennedy and Alex from Alicia's house. Everything was great and the kids were having a blast with their cousins. Still, at 9:00, it was time to go home.

Now Kennedy isn't the best traveler when she's tired. Typically we can bribe her with her "milk," but the cup had run dry. I don't know where she found it, but Kennedy had discovered a baggy full of "candy."

"Daddy, I want some candy."

Who could deny his little girl asking for a piece of candy - especially since I knew I was out of milk! The baggy had two large peppermints and several "tic-tacs." Knowing the mess we'd get into if I gave her the mints, I chose a little white "tic-tac." Kennedy scarfed it up and began sucking on the candy.

"Daddy, I don't like this candy."

The words had barely escaped her lips when I heard a strange sound coming from the back seat. Coughing and choking ensued and as I turned to see the result, there was Kennedy - covered in vomit.

"Daddy, I puke."

With another two minutes before we got home I tried to make a bad situation fun. Jokes, pointing out the lights, talking about mommy - nothing worked.

"Daddy, Clean it off. I want Mommy"


Finally, we pulled into the driveway and I rushed to get the puke stained girl inside. By this point tears and screams were in full force and I did my best to get Kennedy out of the foul smelling garments. I was just finishing getting Kennedy into her PJ's when Tara walked through the door.

I explained how I had given Kennedy a "tic-tac" from the baggy when Tara burst into laughter. "Those aren't tic-tacs. I keep a baggy full of Ibuprofen in the car for emergencies!"

Needless to say, I won't be waiting for my Father of the Year award any time soon.

2 comments:

miche said...

Jared,
I don't think you need to take entire blame on this one. Tara ought to share in it for sure. After this incident, you're probably safe in knowing that Kennedy wouldn't swallow any of them, but keeping a baggy of ibuprofen could be dangerous. A friend of mine kept a closed bottle of it in her car and her 2 year old got it and ate quite a few - poison control was contacted - only 13 pills is a lethal dose for a child... Sorry about all the puke though- puke is never fun.

chappo said...

I think it is all your fault. Can't even tell the difference between tic-tacs and ibuprofen. Of course here in MA you could just sue the manufacturer claiming that they are trying to pass of medicine as candy to create a dependence from the early years.