11/6/08

Diary of a Utah Fan

Biggest Game Ever

The headlines were all over the local papers. Utah vs. TCU was a make or break game for the BCS and the conference. This is the first time that two teams from the Mountain West would both vie for the BCS and a shot at the big time. Everything was set for a monumental show down. There's only one problem: the game isn't on DirecTV. Even though we finally got the Mountain, still have Versus, and ESPN covers Thursday night college football, tonight's game is on CBSCollege Sports. What?! Does that channel even exist? Yes it does, and it's available on my TV - for $12. I pay $50 dollars a month and I can't get the one game of the year in Mountain West football?

I broke down this afternoon and paid the money. For three quarters I wanted my check back. The Utes came out flat and were down 10-0 within the first part of the game. We kicked a couple of field goals, but the offense couldn't get moving and we were down 10-6 with 6 minutes left in the game. I couldn't believe that all the hype was going up in smoke and we didn't even have a TD. TCU came down the turf and tried a field goal with 5:46 in the 4th. Off the upright and we're still alive.

Naturally, we took advantage of our new life with a quick 3 and out. Somehow, TCU was stalled and tried another field goal with under 3 minutes left. Wide right, and we have the ball again. This time we were ready for the challenge. I don't think Brian Johnson is all that great, but at the end of the game - he's been money. The Utes marched down field and scored their lone TD with less than a minute to go. 13-10 Utes and the D sealed the deal. I can't believe that lightning has struck twice this year. Somehow we're still undefeated and in the BCS hunt. It all comes down to BYU and the Holy War.

Tonight was the best $12 I ever spent.

3 comments:

chappo said...

Best $12 you ever spent only because you have never splurged for StatTracker.

Seriously though, can the offense play the whole game the same as the final 2 minutes?

I just need some sleep now.

Ross said...

I would have paid $12 to see Andy Ludwig call that fumblerewski / fire drill play again.

Throw on another $12 for the 3rd & 1 pass from your tailback...

That kind of thing is priceless!

Bryan said...

I'll leave a positive comment on this one... The game was amazing. It was a tough defensive battle. What do you expect from two teams who are in the top 10 nationally in defensive categories. It was an amazing win, and an amazing experience to be there in person!