11/10/08

Judging a Book by it’s Cover

In an effort to delve further into my psyche here’s a peek at the last two books I’ve read. Let’s take a look from the most recent:

Fantasyland by Sam Walker

Reading this book was truly a look into the world of my obsessive- compulsive behavior. Most of you know that I’m addicted to fantasy sports. This all started in 2004 when my nephews, Willie and Phil, invited me to play in their fantasy baseball league. I finished in last place that year, but I was hooked from then on.

Until I read Fantasyland, I had no idea just how into this stuff some people get. Sam Walker is a baseball beat writer for the Wall St. Journal who decided to try a little experiment – join a rotisserie baseball league. Not just any league – the best expert league in the country – Tout Wars. Just to prepare for the draft, Sam spent two months traveling around Spring Training, hired two part time employees to track stats, and purchased every book and magazine he could get his hands on. Total cost = $47,000. Now remember, I haven’t spent a dime to play in 4 years so I’m feeling pretty good about myself.

This is certainly not a book for everyone; actually there are only about 20 people out there who’d even want to read it. For me though, this was a lot of fun and a chance to validate my place in Fantasyland.

Write it When I’m Gone by Tom DeFrank

This book was so interesting! With the election being on my mind so much lately I’ve been intrigued to read about presidents and the forces that shaped them. The first in my series of presidential reads: Jerry Ford.
This novel was 30 years in the making. It began when Tom DeFrank was a fledgling writer for Newsweek during the summer of 1974. His first major assignment was to cover the Vice President, Jerry Ford.

Knowing full well that the future months may see the fall of Nixon, resulting in the rise of Ford, Newsweek wanted an insider to follow the potential president and get the real scoop. DeFrank and Ford would forge a personal friendship that last long beyond the President’s time in office. The book is based upon a series of interviews between the two men for the 30 years of their relationship. As they talked Ford shared his opinions and ideology about the country, its leaders, and the key issues of the day. There was only one caveat; Ford didn’t want the book printed until after his death. In order to be truly candid, President Ford agreed to speak his mind as long as DeFrank didn’t use his words to hurt his fellow Republicans and other national figures.

The book opened my eyes to this great man. Regardless of how I feel about his politics, President Ford was a genuine man of integrity. It was fascinating to read about his life and learn his thought and feelings about a changing world. Even if you’re sick of politics, this one is worth a try.

Well there you have it, sports and politics – throw in work, family, and church and you’ve summed up my life.

No comments: