12/20/07

Substitute Mommy

We all know the horror stories of a substitute teacher with a class full of unruly students, that's nothing compared to the tale of a substitute mommy with a house full of sick kids. Okay, so I'm exaggerating a bit. Tara and her sisters had a sleep over Tuesday night and shopped all day yesterday, which gave me some good Daddy time with the kids on my first day off.

Tuesday night was pretty fun as Alex refused to sleep. I put him in bed around 9 pm and he cried until 10 pm. Nothing seemed to quiet him down, rocking in the chair, bedtime music, even the bottle didn't soothe our sick little guy. He finally went down due to exhaustion, but woke up hourly until around 2 am. Finally, I took him downstairs and he went fast asleep in his own private suite. Why didn't I try that sooner?

When we woke up yesterday morning I was the only one who could see the new day. Both kids had the "goopy eye" which caused them a little discomfort with the kleenex, but no long term damage. Still, with Alex not sleeping and the contagious effects on "pink eye" around the house I called the doctor for an appointment. I know this will "out" me as a bad parent, but I haven't taken the kids to the doctor in over two years. I actually had to call Tara to figure out what I needed to do (mostly I called because Alex is on Medicaid - and I wasn't sure how it worked). With Jason and Kristin in line to watch Kennedy, Alex and I went to the MD to get some Rx. Alex did pretty well with Dr. Havlik and we found that he had an ear infection, to go along with the junk in his eyes.

With the medical crisis averted, it was time to drop off a present at a neighbor's birthday party. Kennedy was sad she couldn't attend, but with the threat of "pink eye" we were quick to uninvite ourselves from Landon's party. Too bad, Kennedy really loves the kids in the area and it would have been a fun party. Certainly better than hanging out with Daddy...

Our last event for the evening was the White Elephant gift exchange with the teens in the Ward. This is always a fun party and I knew Kennedy really wanted to go. I felt pretty confident that she wouldn't pass anything on to the older kids, so my parents came over to watch Alex and Dede and I headed to the fun.

Kennedy loved watching the different presents get unwrapped, as she patiently waited her turn. Of course, she stole the "present of the night" from someone - a toy car that played the music to "Lowrider" while it bounced up and down on it's axles. She played with that car for a good 5 minutes until someone stole it from her. Wow! Talk about a bold move by a 13 year old. I told Sara she could steal the car, but she had to be the one to do it - I wasn't going to take the prize from Dede's hands. Kennedy put up a little bit of a fight, but quickly settled down when she realized she could grab another present. All was good when she opened the next package and found a shiny yo yo waiting for her. Tragedy averted!

We went home and Kennedy went to bed, with only moderate crying for Mommy, and I finally had a chance to relax. My day as substitute mommy was over. Overall, it was a lot of fun to hang out with the kids all day and it really opened my eyes to how much Tara deals with on a daily basis. Like any good sub, I cashed my meager check and took today off to recover...

1 comment:

chappo said...

What a rookie, dropping off Kennedy to take Alex to the doctor. A true Mr. Mom would taken Kennedy along for the ride.

Perhaps next season you can get off the bench a little more. ;-P