
Another tradition that I love is that I get to go shopping each year with my sisters for Christmas. We spend an entire day shopping, eating and enjoying each other's company. I don't get to spend much time with my sisters, as we are all busy with our lives, but I truly enjoy this day together. As Jared already posted, he ended up having an interesting day with the kids. I guess it was good for him, even though I was a little worried about him and the kids. He did a great job as substitute mommy.

The last tradition that I love is my family Christmas Eve party. This party has always been my favorite of the year. As a little girl, I would get so excited for this party. Back then, it was at my parent's house. We had a fireplace upstairs and the only time my dad would build a fire in it was on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I loved sitting by that fire, waiting for my brothers and sisters and nieces and nephews to arrive. (Remember, I'm the baby in my family, by quite a few years, so I grew up with my nieces and nephews more than my siblings.) We would eat and play and do the nativity and open a few presents and just enjoy each others company. I have many fond memories of Christmas Eve with my family.

Now, Christmas Eve is held at the Houtz family cabin. We outgrew my parents house a few years ago and I think we have just about outgrown the cabin. There are about 35 of us. The party this year was great. My parents really make it fun for everyone. They make homemade presents for the grandkids each year and they are always very special gifts. This year, the kids all received a homemade wooden nativity.

We spent some time sledding with the kids, eating good food, opening presents and the majority of the time was spent chasing Alex through the cabin. The cabin is not toddler proof and every time I turned around, Alex was pulling something out of the cupboards, stealing a cookie from the treat table, or drinking someone else's drink. We definitely don't get a chance to sit down with that little guy. He is a bundle of energy.

Both Kennedy and Alex had fun at the cabin, playing with the family. It was a fun Christmas Eve party and I look forward to enjoying many more Christmas Eve parties at the cabin.
2 comments:
Your parents are great T! Loved the post - you really ought to do it more often! :)
I agree - I get a little excited when I see a post from T. Great picture of Lynn as Santa. Also, great family picture. How great to have homemade gifts from Gma and Gpa. That nativity scene looks precious.
Post a Comment