11/15/07

Heated Debate

It's been interesting to watch the Presidential campaign progress over the past several months. For the longest time, everyone has been emphasizing their similarities with one another. Now, I'm not the kind of guy who wants to see people argue, but I don't believe that the candidates are all that similar. I've made no pretense that Barack Obama is the candidate I'd like to receive the Democratic nomination for President. Obama isn't really very similar to the other candidates and that's what I like about him. I want him to point out what makes him different. I think that everyone trying to be same is the main reason Hilary Clinton has such a big lead. She's the only one with a lot of name recognition, so on a stage full of men, people naturally see her as different.

Tonight's debate was the first time that the candidates talked about their differences. There were several instances where the talk got pretty intense, particularly when it came to Senator Clinton's stance on the issues. Barack was one of the most ardent critics of Hilary's in tonight's debate and I think it is essential that he stress what makes him the better candidate. Did he win the debate - no one really wins in a debate of 8 candidates, but going on the offense may be his last chance with the way the polls are going. I enjoyed watching the debate and hearing the candidates share their thought on our Nation's future. After two hours of the debate I came back to the same question I've been asking myself for months:

The Democrats don't really think that Hilary Clinton can win the Presidential election, do they?

6 comments:

chappo said...

I don't even know if democrats think a democrat can win. The only reason Bush won in 2000 and 2004 is because the dems put up awful candidates. Hopefully they do better this time.

Bryan said...

Chappo, it didn't help that the press railroaded both Gore and Kerry in really unfair ways (especially Gore). Surely you don't believe that either candidate was worse than Bush on their merits?

Jared, the one thing saving Hillary is that conservatives hate her. I don't prefer Hillary because, on most issues, she is actually fairly conservative (she is, for example, very hawkish for a Democrat). When I try to explain that Hillary is conservative to people, they just won't believe it. After all, why would conservatives hate one of the most conservative Democrats in the field? I truly think Democrats really want change and many believe Hillary will give it to them -- they simply will not believe she won't. Conservative hatred may very well make HRC the next president.

Annie said...

I'm voting for her purely for the fact that she's a woman. How much different can you be than that? After all, can she really screw things up that much more than they have already been screwed up in the last, oh 20 years or so?

Darren Draper said...

Hey, you removed your post for November 13. That doesn't count for NaBloPoMo.

You'd better get crackin' on that extra post.

: )

Unknown said...

I'll fix it later. I needed to take the post down.

Darren Draper said...

I'm sorry. I was just giving you a hard time. Somebody's got to keep you on your toes.

Speaking of politics, you might be interested in Connect2Elect.com. It's a site (much like your "Select A Candidate site that you posted about earlier) that claims to match your values with the (proclaimed) values of the candidates.

I say "proclaimed", but they say that they've even taken past political performances of candidates (how they have voted) into consideration for their profiles.