
I can't believe that after a 50-0 win on Saturday I'd be saying how disappointed I am in my team. Sure, the Utes controlled every aspect of their win over Wyoming, but we didn't have any class in the way we played. Utah ran several trick plays, including an on sides kick (43-0 at that point) with the game completely out of reach. I know that the Wyoming coach had guaranteed a victory to a group of his students last week and that's the reason Kyle Wittingham was so upset. Still, the only thing that kept coming back to me is running up the score is something Crowton would have done. We keep changing places with the 03'-04' Cougars, which isn't the team to emulate. They ran the score up a couple of times in Crowton's first year and got it handed to them in the subsequent years. We're not good enough to provide teams with emotional motivation when they play us - trust me.
Don't get me wrong - I am happy our Utes have started playing better, I only hope our coaches and players will start behaving better as well.
2 comments:
That picture looks very familiar. I agree it showed no class. I was disappointed in some of the play calling when the game was obviously out of reach for Wyoming.
I disagree a little bit with you about your take on the football game. It is a little unfair to compare Kyle W. with Crowton because Crowton was a complete idiot who can't run a major football program as the head coach and moves on to another job as the offensive coordinator after a year or two because eventually the other teams in the conference easily figure out his schemes, etc. And as stupid as guarantees are in sports, it is worse to say it if the context is "going to someone else's house and kick their butts, guaranteed." I liked Kyle's comments about accountability and ensuring that Glenn accepted accountability for shooting off his mouth. Also, how often do you get a chance to practice plays in a real game situation as opposed to your own scout team or own defense? In some upcoming game (probably BYU) the Utes will need to run an on-sides kick. What better opportunity to practice the play in a more hostile situation than weekly practice? If Utah had recovered the ball they would have just had the running back take the ball and plunge into the middle of the line for three plays and then punt. So I don't think it was that big a deal. They got a lot of their trick plays in, too, so they could show that they worked. File these for later as well.
Look out for New Mexico. Rocky Long won't make any guarantees because the Lobos have had the Utes' number for a while. Just ask Urban Meyer.
The Hemper
Post a Comment