11/21/07

I'm Grateful for Kennedy

I am so grateful for our little DeDe. She is a spark plug in a our home and I don't know where we'd be without her. Here is an except from the story of how Kennedy came into our lives. I originally wrote this in 2005, and it captures the essence of how I felt about Kennedy coming into our lives.

As most of you know Tara and I struggled to have children for many years. We invested many of our emotional and physical resources into the goal of bringing a spirit into our home. Yet, all of our efforts seemed fruitless- that is until we met a special young lady in July of 2004. This woman had made some wrong choices in her life. One of the choices led her to a pregnancy for which she felt she could not provide. After a few meetings with the young expecting mother, she decided that the best choice for the unborn child was adoption. Tara and I were overjoyed and the prospect of starting our family. We knew that our Heavenly Father had heard our prayers and was aware of our needs.

Months passed, and finally the big day arrived. Little Kennedy Faith was born and twenty minutes later Tara and I were able to hold our daughter for the first time. The bond was immediate. As Tara and I enjoyed those precious first moments with Kennedy, the young mother lay exhausted in her hospital bed. She too, was overjoyed at the healthy arrival of this beautiful baby. The next evening, the time for placement of the child arrived.

The young mother packed up her bags and prepared for her discharge from the hospital. She was able to spend a few precious moments with the beautiful child she brought into the world. She knew that these kisses and hugs might be the last ones she would enjoy in this life. Yet, she was determined that her choice was the right one. She wanted the little girl to have a mother and a father.

As we met together in that tiny hospital room the spirit was overwhelming. Everyone knew that this adoption was part of our Father in Heaven’s plan for little Kennedy. The young mother placed the child in Tara’s arms and everyone began to share in tears of joy. Moments later, the young mother picked up her bags and left. I have been witness to many difficult things in my life, but I have never witnessed sacrifice like I did that night. I learned that night that sacrifice has eternal rewards. Little Kennedy has blessed the lives of our family and friends. This young mother made the ultimate sacrifice and Kennedy Faith shall reap in the blessings of this choice.

I love little Kennedy with all of my heart. I still can't believe she turns 3 next month. That 3 years ago we were blessed to have the precious little girl placed in our arms is something for which I'll always be grateful.

Here's a little bonus video I thought I'd share:

2 comments:

chappo said...

Jared, not to be irreverent, but have you ever told Tara how you came to like the name Kennedy? Just curious.

Anonymous said...

I thoroughly enjoyed your little history of Kennedy. What a tear jerker!! All viewers need to have a box of tissues handy. The special effects are excellent as well. Keep up the great blogging. The story of your courtship was interesting as well, but I can't believe that you, Jared, were that shy about asking Tara out initially. You! Shy????

The Hemper