Sports: If I could meet one person who's been involved in sports it would be John Wooden. I am so impressed with his huge achievements on the court, but even more impressed with his philosophies off the court. My favorite aspect of Coach Wooden are the impressive quotes I've read attributed to him. He has an incredible outlook on what's important - basketball is not important.Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability.
I can't imagine anyone who has gotten more out of the people he worked with than Coach Wooden. I would love to spend time around this great man.
Politics: I know that this won't be very popular, but I would love to meet Bill Clinton. I can't think of anyone else who has the ability to enter a room and immediately command everyone's attention like the former president. Even though he is a man with many character flaws and personal demons, I believe that his sincerest desire is to help people. Over the past month or so I've been listening to Clinton's book called Giving. It's been an incredible experience to listen to so many inspiring stories about how people can help one another. I truly believe that he's one of the people in this world who is trying to use his celebrity to help others.Entertainment:
Speaking of who uses his celebrity to help others, I would really like to meet Bono. U2 has to be the band of my generation and Bono is certainly the driving force. For so long U2 has been a band with a message, with Bono being the voice of that message. In the past decade Bono has done so much to try and alleviate suffering in the poorest countries in the world, it is truly inspiring. Not only he is a great humanitarian, but he is the lead singer of the coolest band of the past twenty years. It's good to be Bono and it would be fun to meet him.
Religion: How often do you read that two 90 year olds make someone's have to meet list, but how can you not include President Hinckley on a this list? President Hinckley is such an amazing man. He continues to lead the Church and inspire millions when most people his age are in nursing homes. I admire his moral direction and the witness he bares of his convictions. I appreciate his sense of humor, while he takes his calling seriously, he doesn't take himself too seriously. I know that's he's a man of God and my life has been blessed by listening to his counsel. I've been close to the prophet several times (in very large rooms), but haven't had the chance to meet him. I would love that chance.
Literature: This is the most obscure pick on my list, but I would love to meet Malcolm Gladwell. He is the author of two of my favorite books, The Tipping Point and Blink. Each of these books investigates how little things in our culture or within ourselves can make big differences in the world around. I love Gladwell's writing, as he can talk about deep subjects in a very down to earth manner. I have also enjoyed learning more about his personal interests,and he seems just as interested in basketball as he is in global change. He is truly a fascinating person and I would love to pick his brain.Well, there you go. 5 people I'd really like to meet? How about you, who's on your list?
2 comments:
Jared,
We have 2 people in common. I would love to meet Bono AND Bill Clinton. I feel the same way you do about Clinton and I know most people think I'm nuts. I would have a 3rd in common with you, but I have actually met President Hinckley! (not to brag...)
Good list...
I'll make you jealous.
My daughter Julie met Bill Clinton, shook his hand, etc. and spoke with him when he was in Utah about ten days ago. I have met Gordon B. HInckley a few times (through my dad) back in the day. So there is still hope. Two out of five.
The Hemper
Post a Comment