10/1/07

Fantasyland

I've often been accused of living in my own world, but for a few minutes each day I'm actually in Fantasyland. I've discussed my obsession with fantasy sports for some time; still yesterday it reached another level. I was in the championship of the fantasy baseball league and it was down to the last day of play. My team had led the championship for the entire two weeks and on the penultimate (nice 5 dollar word) day of competition the lead had shrunk in half. Before anyone was awake I spent an hour or so pouring over the stats, desperately trying to set my lineup for the final day. When Tara came into the room I asked her what she thought I should do.

"With what - your fantasy team?"

Do you think I should start another pitcher?


"Jared, I don't really care, but I've been awake for about 30 minutes and all you've talked about is fantasy baseball. You need to get a life."


I couldn't argue with her logic, but I needed to finish up with a win. Finally, I went off to get ready for Church. As I left for the day, I made one last stop at the computer, changed my lineup again, and went to meetings. There wasn't anything else I could do.

As I came through the door after Church was over the MLB season was complete. All the stewing from the morning was meaningless and the championship was decided. In the end all the stress was trivial and the league championship was mine. I can't really say that I'm too excited with the win. I'm just relieved that I didn't lose.

2 comments:

chappo said...

Now if you would just fork over the dough for StatTracker. Does Tara know that you would spend less time in FantasyLand if you had that? Or, will that make your obsession complete and then you would never leave FantasyLand.

jfasioe said...

Nice of you to post your webpage.
Could last night have been better?
Utes win
Sox win
Yankees lose
Great sports night