10/28/07

Diary of a Red Sox Fan


The Red Sox won the World Series!!! For the second time in four years the Boston Red Sox are the best team in baseball. Who would've guessed when the BoSox were down 1-3 to the Indians that we'd be talking about a sweep in the World Series. It wasn't' even much of a contest with the Rockies only leading for 3 innings for the entire series. I guess once Boston got going there wasn't anything or anyone to keep them from the crown.

The funny thing is you'd think that I would be ecstatic over watching my team winning another championship, but there seems to be something different this time. I don't know if it's simply that there wasn't an 86 year gap between titles. Maybe it's due to the fact that the Yankees weren't part of the run this year? I don't think that's it. The truth of it comes down to the fact that there's only one first time. It doesn't matter whether it's sports, love, travel, whatever - you can only experience something for the first time, once. In 2004 and for the first time in my life the Red Sox had won the World Series. Nothing can rival watching a team overcome 20 years of frustration (during my time) to win it all. For most people it doesn't seem like it's that big of a deal, but I can only say that watching the Jazz win the NBA is the only thing that could compare. Can you imagine Utah when that finally happens?

I'm happy the Red Sox met expectations this year and won it all, but I'm sad to see the season end. It's been fun to watch Manny, Big Papi, Pedroia, Tek, Lowell, Youk, Schill, and the rest play everyday. Heck, we even got to see them twice in person this year. 2007 will always be a nice memory as the year the Sox led from wire to wire and finally put the underdog role to rest. Whether I like it or not, the Red Sox have become one of the true Big Boys in baseball - if it means more championships I guess I can live with that....

No comments: