10/10/07

Conference Recap

Like many of you my weekend was spent watching General Conference. I like conference for two reasons: the chance to worship in your pj's, and the opportunity to hear from inspired men and women. This conference was like the rest in that there were great talks and beautiful music, but it was unique in the fact that we would learn about the new counselor in the First Presidency and a new Apostle.

If you checked the blog last week, you saw the poll about which of the Twelve may become 2nd Counselor. The poll declared a tie between Elder Ballard and Elder Eyring, but the tie was broken on Saturday when President Hinckley named President Eyring the new counselor. Even though he wasn't my vote in the poll I was extremely happy with the choice. If I had one major thought about this conference it was that Elder Eyring truly assumed the mantle of President Eyring. Each talk he gave demonstrated his intelligence and compassion. His ability to share the doctrine, as well as his tender heart. He was great.

As we head back to church this week I need to make some suggestions for the next six months of Teachings for our Times. Here are a few of the talks and speakers that made an impression on me.

  • Elder Donald L. Hallstrom - Will you ever forget the image of Easy Street and the Dead End?

  • Elder Spencer J. Condie - I loved the line: "And GOD remembered Rachel."

  • Sister Julie B. Beck - Mothers Who Know

  • Elder Dallin H. Oaks - Trying to choose things that aren't just good, they're better.

  • President Henry B. Eyring - Both of his talks, one about living up to our callings and the other about writing down the spiritual events in our lives.


So what about you? Which talks would you suggest?

3 comments:

Tara said...

Don't worry, I'm not stressed out at all about keeping the house clean, clothes washed, and Kennedy's hair combed. How come men are never expected to help out with these things.

Angee said...

Amen Tara. I for one didn't need the reminder to cook and clean. :) Actually I really enjoyed Sis Beck's talk and Jared covered my other 2 favorite talks:

*Pres. Eyring: Spiritual events
*Elder Oaks: Quite keeping our kids so busy. (My favorite.)

Darren Draper said...

President Eyering's two talks also really moved me - as well as Elder Oaks'.

I'm not sure of people really understand the implications that Elder Oaks' talk has for youth. It seems to me that he has told the church that our youth shouldn't be choosing athletics at the expense of Tuesday night YM/YW activities:

Team sports and technology toys like video games and the Internet are already winning away the time of our children and youth. Surfing the Internet is not better than serving the Lord or strengthening the family. Some young men and women are skipping Church youth activities or cutting family time in order to participate in soccer leagues or to pursue various entertainments. Some young people are amusing themselves to death—spiritual death.

What do you think?