7/16/07

JFK Nightmare


I wanted to save money on the trip, so we found a one hour layover at JFK International Airport in NYC. We saved $120 and yet I feel as thought we lost $500 because of our experience. JFK has got to be the worst airport in the county. They are overcrowded, unorganized, unfriendly, and inept. We arrived at the airport at 6:50 with a connecting flight to SLC scheduled for 7:10. There was to be a slight delay which would have us leaving around 7:40. No big deal, we'll still be home before midnight right? Wrong!

Truth is they had no idea how long they were delaying flights on Sunday. Everything was more of a guess that a program. Each gate had people waiting for at least 2 flights and sometimes 3 different groups were waiting for a plane. Gates were also up for grabs. In the 3 hours we were in the airport we switch from Gate 16 to 22, and then again to Gate 11 - each time being forced to cross the entire terminal. Gate 11 was finally a winner, except for the fact that they couldn't get a plane there, so everyone was forced to load onto buses and travel out to the airplane. After an hour just to get everyone on the plane it was another 1.5 hours before we finally left the ground. It was now 11 pm EST, so our plane wouldn't touch down in Utah until after 1 am MST.

The flight was relatively uneventful, two bad movies and bad snacks. Tara and I both tried to get a little sleep, but mostly just did a little head nodding. At 1:15 we landed in Utah, finally. The last part of our exciting trip was luggage pickup, which never happened. We made it to Salt Lake, our luggage did not. Of course we didn't realized this until after 2 am. After leaving our information, we waited for the shuttle into long term parking and headed off to - work? That's right I was scheduled to train today in Spanish Fork so we headed up to the U for me to pick up a van and my class materials. We finally arrived at home a little after 3 am, tired and weary, for a couple of hours of sleep before the new day started.

2 comments:

Annie said...

I feel your pain. We've been delayed at JFK (all your interpretations of the place are true. I agree 100%) and had our luggage lost on several occasions, but it usually happens out of Atlanta for us.

At least you got home, and had a great trip, right?

miche said...

Sorry guys,
I knew you'd be in for a long day when you left our house. After your trip and my mom's trip, I'm never flying through JFK again (if I can help it.) I thought the airport was a total armpit too. Bathrooms with only 2 stalls for an entire terminal - are you kidding me?

Glad you made it home - we thought about you all night!