
It's been a few months since I've discussed the Red Sox in here, but this was too much to pass by. Johnny Damon finally signed a contract this week. This may not seem like a big deal to many of you, but he signed his contract with the New York Yankees!!! When Tara and I saw the headline on ESPN News we couldn't believe it. Johnny was one of the core Red Sox players. He epitomized what we loved about the Sox: fun attitude, long hair, left everything on the field- a real fan favorite. He was the one who coined the term "the Idiots" to describe the club house in 2004. Now he is a Yankee.
I totally blame the Red Sox for this one. They could have made more of a concerted effort to sign Damon. They probably felt like he would give them a home town deal, but like Johnny said this week, "I may be an Idiot, but I'm not stupid (The Red Sox offered 4yrs./40$ million and the Yankees offered 4yrs./52$ million - hmmm, that's a tough choice!). It's just another sign that the Red Sox team we loved in 2004 is long gone. So far we've lost Lowe, Pedro, Mueller, Millar, Cabrera, Mirabelli, Roberts, and others that we enjoyed watching. I know you can't keep everyone, but the Sox ownership seem like they don't want to keep anyone. I don't know what next year's team is even going to look like. So long Johnny - we can't root for a Yankee!!
1 comment:
Bostonians are just more budget conscious Jared. The Yankees will pay whatever it takes (including a luxury tax of $34 Mil) to field a team. The defection has really hurt here in Beantown, but it will make that much better to play and hopefully beat the evil empire. This really is just one more example of how free agency related items have really ruined sports and turned it completely into a selfish what's in it for me lifestyle. You and both know that athletes salaries are crazy. $13 mil to hit a ball and chase it down in 162 games. Ridiculous.
Post a Comment