
So, as you read in a recent post I got tickets to go to the U2 concert last night. As it turns out, I didn’t get struck down by any higher power or sentenced to an eternal misery for going to the concert alone while Tara hung out with Cousin Eddie…err, Kenny. In fact, Tara didn’t even go to my family Christmas party. Kennedy got sick on Saturday, so she and Tara stayed home all night (let’s not get into the debate about what’s worse: attending your in-laws Christmas party or staying home with a sick baby).
Anyway, let’s get back to the concert. We went downtown a couple of hours before U2 was scheduled to come on, so we decided to go to the Gateway and eat dinner. One problem: trying to eat at the Gateway on a Saturday night with a U2 concert next door and about 20 high school dances that night. Needless to say, there was a 1-2 hour wait at every restaurant we checked. That is until I suggested Samba Grill. The owner is a woman I know from UEN, so we decided to at least give it a try. Joan Souza is such a wonderful woman, she not only got us a table, but she gave us a meal for free! The night was looking up for sure!
After dinner we headed across the street for the concert. Fortunately, we were just in time to miss Kanye West (I have no desire to listen to a rapper, even if he is a good -whatever that means -rapper). As luck would have it we ran into another guy I know from work who was an usher at the Delta Center. Scott asked to look at my ticket and said he would try to get us better seats – things were really starting to look up. I wasn’t sure if Scott could come through or not, but while we were waiting for the show to start – here comes Scott coming up (and I mean up) the stairs to talk to me. Here’s an excerpt from our conversation:
Scott: “So, do you guys want better seats or what?”
Me: “Yes.”
After this brief conversation Scott received a call on his walkie-talkie. He said he had to leave, and he never came back. I guess the good luck had to end sometime. Too bad though because the seats Scott was in charge of were in the middle of the arena, much better sound. For most of the evening Bono sounded a bit muffled where we were seated.
Around 9 pm U2 arrived onstage with an amazing light show. Most of the early songs came from the Atomic Bomb album, mixed with splashes from the All that You Can’t Leave album. Throughout the rest of the evening they played all the best songs including: Sunday Bloody Sunday, Where the Streets Have no Name, New Year’s Day, Pride, One, With or Without You, Mysterious Ways, 40, The End of the World, and many more. Surprisingly (not really), there wasn’t one song from the Pop album (the last U2 concert I went to). It was a great mix of music and spectacle that last well past 11 pm. It was a great night and I was so glad I had the chance to see U2 again in concert. I may or may go to Hell, but I am happy man ‘cause I found what I was looking for.
No comments:
Post a Comment