12/28/05

Boys' Day Out (Sort of)


Earlier today I spent some time engaged in some very manly activities (nothing involving Brokeback Mountain, thank you very much). My dad wanted to take the boys to breakfast so Jason, Coleton, Kristin (like I said it was sort of a boys' day out), Dad, and I went to Dee's. The natural challenge was to see which of us could tackle the Lumberjack. I don't know what it says about me, but I was able to polish off the jack with little effort. I am getting so fat!!!

Later in the afternoon we went to see King Kong, another manly activity. This time it was Jason, Coleton, Brant, Kerrin, Madison (again it was sort of a boys' day out), and me. Alicia was very concerned with Kong's scare factor for Coleton. I had seen the previous two Kong movies (1933 and 1977) had there wasn't anything terribly scary in either of those films, so I assured my sister that there was nothing to worry about. Okay, so there was something to worry about. Kong wasn't scary, but Peter Jackson decided to make the natives of Skull Island look like Orcs from the Lord of the Rings. In about two minutes of natives onscreen we had a guy get speared, voodoo women with their eyes rolling back into their heads, and another guy get his head bashed in with a club. Not really family entertainment. We quickly covered Coleton's eyes so that bad dreams could be averted. Mission accomplished (I hope). Other than the natives, there was another scene with some giant bugs that wasn't really for a 7 year old. Oh well, live and learn. Coleton seemed to enjoy the film and it got a big "thumbs up" from me. Overall, a pretty good boys' day out (sort of).

No comments: