11/3/10

Podcast Directory

A few years ago I made a major switch on my iPod. I started out listening to all my tunes from over the years, but quickly found myself losing interest. I wanted something new to listen to, but wasn't really interested in new music. I searched the iTunes store and fell in love with podcasts.

I know it makes me sound really old, but I'd rather listen to stories than music nowadays. Here's a look into a few of my favorites.

1. Freakonomics Radio: I was turned on to this series of books a couple of years ago and couldn't wait for more. In a nutshell the books deal with data and how it shows the hidden side of the world around us. The podcast is more of the same, with Stephen Dubner tackling topics like - What are the characteristics of a good radio station, What does the NFL need to learn about real estate, and Where did all the runs go in major league baseball. This is one of my new "must" downloads.

2. RadioWest: This is one of the best local programs on the air today. I love the various topics discussed and the issues related to life in Utah. I don't know how Doug Fabrizio gets so prepared every day for his set of interviews, but he is spot on all the time. One thing I love about this show is the honest and open approach they take in discussing the Church. They just did a great show on the impact and reaction to President Packer's talk during last General Conference.

3. This American Life: I think this is the best podcast available today. Every Monday I look forward to the new episode I downloaded over the weekend. Ira Glass is one of the most talented people in media today. I haven't spent money on any of the other podcastsv on my list, but TAL is too good not to own the app on my iPhone. My favorite episodes involve every day events turned on their heads. If you've never the show on babysitting, it's a can't miss.

4. The BS Report: This is one my guilty pleasures. As a sports junkie I can't get enough of Bill Simmons, the Sports Guy. The show is all over the place as Simmons talks to athletes, commentators, and everyday fans. It doesn't hurt that Simmons is a die hard Red Sox fan, but I'd listen even if he wasn't.

No comments: