11/6/10
Death
A few days ago I learned that my cousin Kaydee's husband Pete had died suddenly due to a ruptured aorta valve. It was a shock to hear that someone so young was cut down in the prime of his life. Here was a guy, 31 years old, who leaves behind a wife and two young children. I didn't know Pete very well, but his death has been a real eye-opener to me. We are close to the same age, both with small children, and wives we adore.
How much do I value the people who are closest to me? I hope they know how much they mean to me. If not, I need to do a better job as a husband, a father, and a friend. Pete's death may seem so random and senseless, but it has really helped me to assess the things that matter most. Thanks Pete.
BTW - Pete's funeral was the most interesting one I've ever been to. Rather than wearing traditional Sunday best, the family requested that everyone show their love for Pete by supporting his favorite team, the Utes. So, rather than wearing a tie I showed up wearing my Utah hoodie. That was my kind of funeral.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Jared - I am so sorry to hear about your cousin, Pete. My heartfelt condolences to you, Jason and the rest of your family.
Post a Comment