11/18/10

Movie Review: Waiting for Superman

A few weeks ago I saw the movie Waiting for Superman. It is an incredibly interesting look into the American education system. I thought the movie did a great job profiling the students looking to better themselves by getting into strong academic programs at magnet and charter schools. I was really rooting for each of the young people to make it in the end. As I reflected upon the film though I found myself asking: What does it mean to make it? Is the only chance these kids have to "make it" is getting into an elite school? What does mean for my kids? Can they "make it" if they attend the local public schools?

I spent four years teaching in the pubic school system here in Utah. I know there are challenges to teaching in the modern American education system. We aren't really rewarded for excellence. There isn't a chance to get rid of bad teachers. Kids, parents, and teachers tend to settle for mediocrity instead of pushing for something more. Still, I worked with hundreds of kids each year and I felt like I made a difference. Was I a good teacher? Not really. I had so much to learn and I needed to step up my levels of motivating the students to higher academic achievement. Was I a role model? Yes. I know that students attending my class knew it was a place where they were valued and felt like they could succeed. Do I want another chance? Of course I do.

I came away from this film feeling like I needed to get back in the game and make a difference. Too many times people see a documentary like this and want to complain about the way things are. I don't think that does a whole lot. Rather than complain about the problems in education I need to use my position and connections to work on changing the system, not simply critique it. I have a great chance to work with and encourage current and future teachers. They need help looking beyond the negative issues facing the system and encouragement to make a difference. I don't know what kind of impact I can have, but I know this - I can have some type of impact.

No comments: