5/2/07

TV Review: The Mormons


As much as I liked day 1 of The Mormons I enjoyed day 2 even more. I think that were some really inspiring moments that I observed in the last two hours of this program. I've always liked Elder Marvin K. Jensen, but I have such an unbelievable respect for him. His ability to bear his testimony of the gospel, while tackling difficult issues truly makes him an effective messenger for the Church. When he talked about how hard it must be for homosexual individuals who can't enjoy marriage within the Church, he expressed tremendous empathy and truly reached out to those who feel marginalized (I'm glad he was the one they interviewed on the topic of homosexuality, instead of Elder Packer. I'm not sure he came off very well with his interview).

I was curious how missionary work would be treated on a national scale. Would it be seen as inspired service given by young men and women or would it be portrayed as religious zealotry by misguided youth. Hearing the various stories of men and women who devoted their time as missionaries gave an accurate account of what it's like to serve. Well, except for the guy who said he'd blow himself up if asked. I think he was in the wrong religious documentary. Still, this segment showed that as hard as it can be to go away for two years, it is truly a special time of growth for a young man or woman.

The segment dealing with church discipline was extremely interesting. Of course, we mostly heard from individuals who have been asked to leave the church. The scene where all the chairs were lined up in a form of Puritan tribunal was a bit dramatic. Still, it can't be all bad when the individuals who've been excommunicated long to have parts of the gospel back in their lives. I was particularly touched by the artist from Alpine who missed the feelings he had when he was active in the church.

In the end, I feel that this was a thought provoking look at our church. Even if there was some license in the way certain ideas were presented - was that painting supposed to be Angel Moroni - the world was introduced into the Mormons in a way that shows us for who we are. We are a people who love our families, who love our God, who love our prophets, and are trying to love everyone else - even if it doesn't always work out that way.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Jared,
You are so articulate, it is a pleasure to read your posts. I agree with you and your summation of how the world (and those who have grown up looking in from the outside)were introduced to The Mormons. I learned a great deal from the program but I absolutely came away with an increased respect for how deeply rooted your faith is in your life and how it brings you closer to your ideals. I hope you know, even though I prefer to "shovel my own walk way" I appreciate and respect your insight.
-Lisa