
So, like much of the community I've been waiting on The Mormons for the past several months. Overall, I thought it was an insightful look at the Church. Going in I knew I was going to hear several things I didn't like, but there would also be some ideas that would reaffirm my faith.
It was fascinating to hear the accounts of Joseph Smith. Many of the people being interviewed were non-believers, but none could discount the tremendous role he played in bringing together people in a "uniquely American" religion. I know that the Joseph Smith story doesn't play well with most; however, one scholar made the comment that all religion has some sense of miracle at it's core - why should Mormonism be any different.
About the only down side I had with last night's program was the extent to which modern day polygamy was depicted. Of course, the producers were quick to point out information about Wilford Woodruff and the Manifesto, but many people would come to the assumption that polygamy's end was more a matter of political convenience than any other reason. Showing many members of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints played too much into the stereotypes that Mormons are still polygamists regardless of the Church's official positions against the practice.
I'm interested to see where tonight's program takes people. Some of the promo comments were a bit overblown (Elder Dallin H. Oaks coming across as the Mormon Gestapo - any member who disagrees with the Brethren will be silenced, even if the disagreement in valid.), but it's what brings in the ratings - if that even matters with PBS. I want to know how missionary work is depicted, and what they think the future of the church holds. All in all I hope a lot of people are watching the series and I hope it encourages them to look past the stereotypes about The Mormons.
1 comment:
Jared, I have posted my thoughts as well. I thought the program was very well done overall.
Post a Comment