
We've waited for this day for 9 1/2 months and I have to say that it was worth the wait. Alex is officially a part of the family-for better or worse. We started off the day rushing to get to the court on time. Once we got there, the lawyer met with us for a few minutes to prep us for what to expect in the courtroom. Then we waited and waited. It was only about 20-25 minutes, but it seemed like forever to me. It was a good chance to get some good pics with family members, though.
Once we were in the courtroom, things went smoothly. We were asked a few questions by the lawyer and then our DCFS caseworker answered a few questions about us-vouching that we could handle this parenting thing. (Sometimes I think everyone should go through all the fun stuff us adoptive parents have to go through to prove we can be good parents). Anyway, the judge addressed us, specifically to let us know that this adoption would be final and we couldn't just change our minds when Alex is 15. I think he will be okay, but Kennedy on the other hand...
The judge was very serious and professional but at the end, when she announced that Braiden would now be known as Alex and that he was ours, I felt the tears come and I held Alex close. What an amazing feeling. I'm not sure what it is like to give birth, but I know that I can't imagine a better feeling than knowing this little child will be ours forever. He really is meant to be with us. I couldn't ask for a better Mother's Day present than this.
After the formal stuff, the judge asked us to approach the bench. She actually motioned us to come behind the bench. When we got there, she held Alex and presented him with a stuffed teddy bear. She was really cute with him and it was fun to see her open up. She had Kennedy come up and we took some pictures. She really made it special for our little family.This will be a day that I will never forget. We always knew that Alex would eventually be in our family forever, but now the paperwork says it is official. Paperwork or not, we love you Alex-welcome to our little family!
![]() |
| Click to see all the pics from Alex's adoption |

2 comments:
I am real happy for ya. So do you have to get Tara a mother's day present. Cute kid, he is very photogenic
Congratulations Covilis! I am so happy for you. What a cool moment to share Tara (when the judge announced his name.) I think that just the same way you feel when you give birth. Your happiness is just amazing. Love you guys!
Post a Comment