5/18/07

Flame Out

Going out to dinner as a family has a few inherent problems: picking the right place (especially with Alicia involved), finding a time that works for everyone, ensuring that everyone is happy with the price (especially with Jared involved). I never thought that finding a restaurant that doesn't make the kids cower in fear would end up making the list. Bonsai just made that an important criteria for Kennedy.

I had never heard of Bonsai before, but I don't think that Kennedy will soon forget her experience with the "fire" they have there. No, we weren't rushed out due to smoke inhalation or exposed to a grease fire in the kitchen. Bonsai is a Japanese steak house, where like at Benihana, the food is cooked at the table right in front of you. Needless to say there is a scorching hot grill and a high flame involved in the theatrics of cooking the food. It took Kennedy about 2 seconds after seeing, and feeling, the flame to burst into uncontrollable hysterics. She kept screaming, "I don't like the fire," while the tears streamed down her cheeks. We tried to console her and tell her that the cook wouldn't use the fire anymore, but it didn't matter. Every time another "fire" burst up from a different table, Kennedy freaked out. Our dining experience lasted about 10 minutes before we scooped up the kids, put our food into boxes, paid our $40 bill - way too much, and headed home to eat in the kitchen.

1 comment:

jfasioe said...

We went to Benihana about 1 year and half ago. I went pretty well until our cook/entertainer smashed a cup that went all over Natalie's food. Needless to say with all the little glass shards, Natalie was done eating. They gave us more food, but Natalie didn't really care, I did, cause the portions they give you would barely fill up Natalie. In all it was overpriced, overhyped and whenever you leave a place hungry after dropping over $50 what good can you really say