I was in a real groove a few months ago reading books on the bus, then I started reading U2 by U2. There was no way I'd be able to take this one to work with me, since the book is more a coffee table book. It's about 330 pages and is full of wonderful pictures of the band. Needless to say, with the size of the book - this one was read at night before going to bed. I guess that's why it took me three months to finish.
I really enjoyed the book. This is U2's story as told by the band themselves. It is written in a round table format, with each member of the band telling their version of different parts of the band's history. U2 by U2 is broken up into chapters which coincide with different albums representing the various stages of the band's career. I loved revisiting the old U2, then watching them progress to the World's biggest band.
I would say that this book isn't for the casual U2 fan. It is a long read, and goes into a lot of detail about the creation of U2's albums. As someone who's followed U2 since the late 80's I absolutely loved reading this book. I grew up with U2 and this book was like taking a trip into my past. So many memories of riding around with friends listening to Joshua Tree, arguing about whether or not the band had lost their souls with Achtung Baby (now my favorite U2 album), and wondering if the boys had lost their minds with Zooropa and Pop. U2 is my band and I'm glad they let the fans into their rather unique world.
3 comments:
Here is my highly informal and off the top of my head U2 ratings:
Boy--highly underrated,a little raw, a few gems;I love Electric co, out of control, stories for boys, and shadows
October--a few good songs not much else
War--gritty, real political, you have to be in a certain mood to hear all the album, but Sunday Bloody Sunday is a great song
Unforgettable Fire--again another mood album, Pride is great
Joshua Tree-From top to bottom their best album. Every song is good. One of the ten best albums ever.
Rattle and Hum--Not my fav, although the video is awesome
(played silver and gold for my class tuesday as we discussed S. Africa-it was over their heads but I didn't care)
Achtung Baby-I agree about being a favorite now-The first half is better than the 2nd half
Zooropa-worst ever
Pop-weak sauce
All that you can't-first four songs really rock-Elevation is a classic
How to dismantle--Veritgo was awesome not much else
Top 3 band of all-time
Seriously, I can't wait to buy and read this book Jared. It's definitely on my list of things to do this year...
Will you please take zooropa off the poll? That is just a terrible album, I refuse to own it.
Post a Comment