7/20/09

The Big Release

Well, it's officially over. Yesterday our Bishopric was released and the new guys took over (in case you're scoring at home: C. Featherstone is the new Bishop, A. Nugent as 1st Counselor, and K. Larsen for 2nd Counselor). I'm really excited for someone else to have a chance to serve the ward. I'm not saying that I don't want to serve, but it's time for a change.

Since we formally learned that our time was up, it's been fun to reflect on some of the amazing experiences that we've had during our five years in the Bishopric. Here are a few highlights:

1. Getting to know everyone in the Ward. Growing up in the ward I knew who everyone was, but serving for the past few years I've really gotten to know people. More than their names or where they live, I know them for who they are and for the amazing lives they've led. We can truly learn a lot from other people and I've been able to grow so much from listening to those around me. Whether it was visiting in people's homes, or our annual temple trips and the long bus rides - I really loved getting to know my friends and neighbors.

2. Walking down the aisle with my kids. Sounds silly I know, but one of the best memories I'll take from Sacrament Meeting over the past five years is having Kennedy and Alex run up to meet me and walk down to the back door of the Chapel together. Just watching the excitement in their faces as I came up to them was priceless.

BTW - The other highlight of the walk down the aisle was the little kids referring to me as "Jesus". On more than one occasion I heard a sunbeam tell his mom that we need to be quiet while Jesus walks by. Too classic!

3. Learning from other church leaders. It's amazing how many good people give of their time so unselfishly. Listening to the accounts of the leaders of the ward and their efforts to help those around them always inspired me to do more. They weren't bragging - it's just who they are. When you're around good people you can't help but want to be like them. All the people I served with have set a wonderful example for me. I hope I can live up to the challenge.

4. The Ward at 50. One of my favorite activities was celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Cottonwood 4th Ward. We had a huge reunion with tons of returning ward members. Lots of fantastic stories about people, both new and old. We even had each of the living bishops speak to the Ward. It was incredible and a true highlight of our time serving together.

Well, there you have it. I'll miss being part of the action, but I know there will be plenty of action coming from our pew in church. Tara, you've been great to deal with all three kids alone. I only hope I make things easier by sitting with you guys next Sunday. I can't tell you how excited I am to be able to sit next to my sweetheart (even if I step out into the foyer for an occasional timeout).

3 comments:

THE WILLIAMS FAMILY said...

YOUR TIMELESS SERVICE TO OUR WARD FAMILY... WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN. THANK YOU!!!

Bell Family said...

Way to go Jared (and Tara)!! You have been fantastic!!

Angee said...

So how was the first Sunday in the congregation. Are you ready for the stand again?