7/1/09

Diary of a Red Sox Fan

After the huge ordeal surrounding yesterday's game I wasn't sure if I wanted to head back to Baltimore a second time. Things were a little different today. First, rather than riding public transportation, we actually got a lift into Baltimore from our old pal Jeff Wright. That's right, he came up to DC and grabbed us on the way to the game. Second, we were going to stay the entire game this time. Ok, I was going to stay through the entire game this time - Tara's flight left from Baltimore in the middle of the game.

I've been planning this game for months. I knew that Jeff could come and Chappo even flew down from Boston for the event. This was going to be the kickoff of our weekend together. Awesome!

The game couldn't have been worse for the first 8 innings. We got to Camden Yards late again and by the time we sat down the score was 2-1 Orioles. Then nothing happened. Sure the O's scored a few times, but the Sox' bats were silent. We didn't see a Boston hit until the 7th inning. Tara didn't see anything from our Red Sox before she finally had to leave. It was pretty bleak down 5-1 at the start of the 9th.

Then, karma changed. Kevin Youkilis hit a 2 run homer at the beginning of the inning. Two strikeouts later and the Sox were down to their final out. Still, it wasn't over. A hit, a walk, and another walk and the bases were loaded. Rocco Baldelli came in as a pinch hitter and his single up the middle had tied the game at five all. It was incredible. As disappointing as the previous night had been, that's how exciting today was.

It took another two innings before the Sox took the lead 6-5 and that was how the game ended. Our trip was salvaged. Rather than two terrible losses, it was a two game split and an amazing rally in the 9th. Even better I got to see the game with two of my best friends. All in all, not a bad afternoon.

No comments: