Like a lot of you I've been waiting for some time for the new release from U2. The last two albums have contained some great songs and I looked forward to some new tunes from one of my favorite bands. The early release of Get on Your Boots certainly didn't get my hopes up for No Line on the Horizon, neither did the appearance at the Grammys - I just don't get Bono and the eyeliner. So, we bought the CD a few days ago and here are some initial thoughts.I like the music, particularly the major riff accompanying many of the songs. I think that Edge is in rare form and I really like the backing bass and drum line of several tunes. No Line on the Horizon is a good song and I really like the tune in I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight. White as Snow is a hidden gem on the end of the CD.
I don't get most of the titles of the songs. Here are just a few: FEZ - Being Born, Stand Up Comedy, Get on Your Boots. I just really can't imagine myself saying how much I like the song FEZ - Being Born to a friend. The titles just don't grab you like many of their classics: One, With or Without You, Mysterious Ways. I actually think their song titles have been going down for a while now.
I'm just not that into the lyrics on this album. I think there's a lot of nonsense when you actually read the words in the jacket. I know you can say that about a lot of music, but you tend to expect more from Bono. He seems like an individual of substance and this album certainly needs more of that in it's lyrics. Also, I don't get why Bono seems to spend so time rapping or talking rather than singing on this CD.
Overall, I think No Line on the Horizon is ok. Certainly I liked the past few albums more. Is it better than Zooropa and Pop, yes - but that isn't hard. I've heard several people say that it takes a few listens to really enjoy this album and I hope that's true.
5 comments:
Amen. That's exactly what I've been thinking, but I haven't had a chance to listen to it much. I hope I can get into it a little more. I was really bummed to find out that the tour is coming to Boston on a Sunday and won't be coming to SLC though! It sounds so cool with the 360 stage and everything...
ps - except I LOVE "get on your boots" for the song and the title. Love boots of all kinds and it's kinda catchy.
I've been listening to it a lot since it came out last week. For the most part I really like it. It has a few songs that I don't care for. But, what album doesn't?
I have to agree with you about The Edge. The guitar on this album is some of the best I've heard from him. He continues to impress me more and more each album.
I think my favorite so far is Moment of Surrender. I also like Magnificent, I;ll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, and Breathe.
I enjoyed your review Jared. I love this band. I'm actually listening to The Joshua Tree while I'm working this afternoon. Take it easy!
Still buying CDs? What, are you stuck in the 90's?
METALLICA... ALL THE WAY BABY!!!!!
Post a Comment