3/25/09

Listen, do you smell something?

Yesterday's work day turned out to have an eventful ending. Around 3 pm several people in the building were running around talking about a gas leak on campus. We pretty much ignored the issue until someone down the hall said they could smell gas throughout their office. That's the time I pack up and leave.

Leaving the building was the easy part, leaving campus was quite another issue all together. Since the leak had occurred to the west of my building campus was closed to any incoming traffic - including my bus. The traffic jam was already in full force, so I hopped onto the only bus in the business loop and hoped for the best.

I boarded the bus at 3:06 and at 3:57 I had gone from the business loop to the Institute building - a whopping .10 mile. Between people cutting in line, fender benders, and road closures we were lucky to get out of campus at all. I still don't know where the bus I was on was supposed to go, but our driver was a trooper. She made sure everyone got close to where they were going and really did a great job. I know I wouldn't have wanted to deal with that mess.

By 6 pm the leak was contained, the roads were opened, events resumed on campus. Still, it was a crazy day to be a Ute....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jared...when I looked out my window at EBC and saw all of the traffic I figured that I would probably be more at risk sitting in traffic smelling gas than staying at my desk working on things...I left at about 5:45 pm with the traffic mostly gone. Glad we all made it home safely.

The Bringhurst Bunch! said...

All the more reason not to be a UTE!!

Anonymous said...

I thought of you as soon as it was breaking news on TV (I was getting ready to head to work) I'm glad you are alright, and that the only thing that came of it was a very long bus ride.
-Melissa

Our Fondaco Family said...

So... I am loving the title of this post! One of my favorite quotes!!!! I use it all the time actually!! HAHAHA
Glad you're safe!!

And.. Dylan is getting so big! Im happy that Kennedy and Alex take such good care of him!!

Hang in there!