1/8/08

Peace and Quiet

One of my favorite aspects to riding the bus to work is the chance to read a book for about an hour a day. Some may ask how you can read with other people around you? It's actually pretty easy. Most people riding the bus are trying to do the same thing you are. It's almost as if there's an unwritten code that you leave people alone to do what they want to do on their trip.

Occasionally, you'll find that there is a person who breaks the rule, but you can quickly resolve the situation by putting in your ear buds, regardless if you have music playing or not - that's my favorite trick. What do you do when it's the driver who wants to chat?

Over the past month I've had a couple of eccentric drivers who think the ride is all about them. On the ride home we had the Song Bird, who chimed in about each stop in a lyrical fashion. He also complained about everyone else on the road, so the singing was a welcome change of pace. For the past two days I've had a morning driver who has given himself the title of the Trivia Driver. He insists on boring us with useless facts about whatever he heard on NPR that morning. Now, I like trivia more than most, but I don't want to be forced to listen to someone drone on and on whether you like it or not. It's hard to believe but there are days when I think I'd rather drive - at least then I can travel home in silence.

No comments: