I can't believe it, but I am actually in a book club. For the past several years I've wanted to get into a club, I've even tried to beg my way into one or two, but each time I was rebuffed because the groups were "ladies only'". Why can't men join with a book club? Are the women discussing books, or is it more of a social activity? Regardless, the only way I could get into a book club was to start one myself.A few months ago I mentioned how I was in an online discussion forum. Nothing major, just some friends I made through Jared Fawson. In one of the threads the topic of books came up and I saw this as my chance, I quickly suggested that we should pick one book a month and discuss it. I didn't use the term, "book club" for fear of being rejected by the female members of the group. Somehow everyone agreed, and a book was selected.
The first book we read was Speaking of Vegetables, I have Cancer by Stephanie Doyle. The best part about picking this one first is that Stephanie is a member of our group. How often does a book club get to read a selection and discuss it with the author? The book is an autobiographical look at Steph's bout with breast cancer in 2004. It is a funny book, examining how someone deals with "their cancer" and all the framework surrounding a major illness. Since the book is about 60 pages long, it's a quick read and well worth the time.So, I guess that since I've started this book club, I better start reading a little more. Anyone know of a good book for next month?
3 comments:
Jared,
It's true - most book clubs I have been in are more about socializing and sampling appetizers than the book, but the first book club I joined in SLC had both men and women. The one I'm in now is definitely ladies only. We read some great stuff though. Some ideas... our next book is "The Book Thief" by Zusak. It has gotten great reviews. Also, we just read "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Hosseini. A friend just told me I had to read "Left to Tell" by Ilibagiza.
Hi Jared:
I'm so proud of you for starting your own book club, sort of. We have read some wonderful books in the last 3 years in our book club and I look forward to it every month.
Sometimes, we do forget that we are a book club but most of the time, the discussion and the tangents brought about by the discussion are really, really great.
The best discussion's we've ever had were when we read the graphic novels, "Maus I & II" so I highly recommend them. We also just read, "Stumbling on happiness" and it was great. I also recommend, "Everything is illuminated" and "incredibly loud and extremely close". THey are by the same author and both amazing reads.
Have fun.
Good for you Jared. I love my ALL girls book club. You guys might want to try some books we have found interesting such as The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, The Nanny Diaries or Message in a bottle.(or anything with Fabio on the cover) Good Luck!!
Post a Comment