12/1/08

Family Time

It's been a fun weekend down in New Harmony. After all the running around on Thursday and Friday, Saturday and Sunday turned into some quality time at home. Kennedy and Alex love to play with their cousins, so Saturday afternoon was spent with little people playing with Little People (sorry I couldn't resist). It's fun to watch the kids play with many of the same toys I had growing up. Mom has them all available for use down here. Hard to believe, but one of Kennedy's favorite toys is a sand art toy, where you shake the sand to create different works of art. Why do I spend money on all the latest toys when the ones from the 70's get all their attention?

While the younger kids played with the toys, Coleton and I took advantage of the open TV and had some serious battles on the Wii. Madden was the game of choice and we discovered a new game called 5 on 5. It's basically just a game of tackle football, where you keep track of touchdowns and it's the first team to 5 scores. Coleton and I had a great time, even if the games were one-sided.

I think one of the best parts of our lazy Saturday was the chance for the mommies to get some rest. Both Tara and Alicia were able to take naps during the afternoon. With my parents and me available to watch kids, I think it's great when Tara can have a break - even if it's only temporary.

Last night we wrapped up our trip with a cookout. One of the best things about life in the desert is that you're basically camping out - all the time. My dad built a fire pit in his backyard last year and this was our first time to use it. Kennedy and Alex came out back with us and helped us roast some hot dogs for dinner. I'm not sure if any of Dede's dogs actually made it to the table, but she had a good time burning them anyway. Alex wasn't really sure what to make of the open fire (he's only seen fire in fireplaces) but he certainly wanted to part of the action.

Now it's time to head back to hustle and bustle of Salt Lake, but we always look forward to our time in the hills of New Harmony.

No comments: