12/22/08

Heating Up



Replacing an appliance really shouldn't be that big of a deal. I mean, come on, you unplug the old and plug in the new, right? Wrong. In this house everything takes twice as long and costs twice as much.

When I went to unplug the old oven, there wasn't a plug. It was hardwired. This meant we needed to install a new 220 volt outlet. Electricity isn't usually that bad, but when you start talking about 220, I get a little worried. Ford came over after school a couple of weeks ago and helped me install the outlet. Surprisingly, both of us are still here to tell the tale.

The second problem we encountered was the hole. A standard oven is 29 7/8 inches wide, our old oven was 29 1/8 inches. I am getting so tired of everything in our house being 3/4 of an inch off. Close, but not quite right..

Well, after we cut the hole and installed the plug everything seemed ready. The installers showed up and told Tara everything looked great, except for one minor problem - the plug was in the wrong spot on the wall. Once plugged in, the oven sat two inches out from the wall. To fix the problem I would need to move the plug to the bottom of the wall. No big deal - wrong!

I cut 18 inches of wire to install the plug, now I needed that 18 inches of wire to move the plug. Argh!!! At this point it was time to bring in an electrician. Nothing I could have done to patch the wires would have been according to code and I was at my breaking point.

Three days and $100 later and the plug was moved. The oven was installed properly and I am done with another project that cost twice as much and took twice as long.

No comments: