6/8/07

Stay at Home Dad

Since Tara is recovering well I feel it's a good time to discuss several things I have learned during my week as a stay at home dad.

#1 Kids do not like to take naps. At least my kids do not like naps. Kennedy and I had a three hour battle of wills on Tuesday. Generally, it went like this:

Kennedy, it's time to take a nap.

No. I don't want to take a nap.


Kennedy, You need to take a nap.


No, I'm not tired.

After the battle had ended and the dust had cleared, Kennedy had prevailed and Dad had to pick himself up off the mat.

#2 Alex eats everything. Kennedy eats nothing. So far this week Alex has eaten a jar of pears, four waffles, a slice of pizza, a bag of peas, and a cookie. Kennedy only eats pizza.

#3 You can get by on a lot less sleep than you expect. I haven't slept at all this week. From the all night marathon surgery to kids getting up throughout the night I've only gotten a few hours of sleep. The worst part is, if I do get the kids to take a nap, I'm no longer sleepy and there are things to do.

#4 Tara really runs the show around here. I haven't gotten anything accomplished this week. Tara manages to take care of the kids, fix meals (I haven't made dinner once this week thanks to meals coming in), do laundry, work on the yard/garden, and clean the house. I've made sure the kids have clothes on every day. That's it.

#5 Everyone loves Mom. Everyone tolerates Dad. As much time and attention as I've given this week and every time I turn around I hear the same thing: Where's Mom?

No comments: