3/7/07

Book Review: An Inconvenient Truth


I guess I've been on a bit of a roll lately reading my birthday books. It doesn't hurt that I ride the bus and have an hour everyday where can I focus on a book (that never happens at home!). Each book I've read recently has had an interesting focus and this one is no different. I can't think of a book/film that has met with the same controversy since Fahrenheit 911 - strange how all the projects by liberals are seen as controversial, hmmm...

One thing I'll say about An Inconvenient Truth is that this book shouldn't be seen as a liberal issue. Sure, it was written by Al Gore, but I think this book really doesn't have much to do with partisan politics. Gore states that this is "a moral issue", not a political issue. I can't agree more. It surprises me that whenever I encounter criticism of the book, the criticism is about Gore himself. Even if Al Gore does some thing personally that waste energy or go against some of his findings, the facts don't change - Global Warming is happening.

I came across a criticism of the book/movie in the Chronie, yes I still read the Chronicle - that's a blast from the past for some of you, from Aaron Zundel. His op-ed piece, An Inconvenient Truth about 'An Inconvenient Truth', was pretty interesting. He'd rather criticize Al Gore, than focus on the issue. Why? Al Gore isn't trying to invent Global Warming to drum up business for himself.

This was a good read. The book is adapted from Gore's presentation in the movie. It is full of graphics and graphs depicting how global warming is changing our planet. While it reminds me of the USA today with all the images, it illustrates what's going on around in a way that makes sense to the non-scientist.

I know I need to change my "carbon footprint" and make our home more earth friendly. Riding the bus is a good start, and we recently purchased the energy efficient light bulbs - those are pretty cool. Still, I want to be involved, even if it's only through small and simple ways.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

We'll sign you up for Water Wise Utah promo team.

Bryan said...

You should see the movie, too, if you haven't already.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Gore -- the nerdy guy that nobody "wants to have a beer with." Poor guy. He gets blamed for things he never said (he never said he "invented" in internet). And he doesn't get credit for what he has done (he was a leading legislative force behind the development of what we now know as the internet).

miche said...

Hey Jared,
We were going to read this book in my book group this month - to be held at my house - but we decided to watch the movie instead. I can't wait to see it after all I've heard. I figure you can't criticise any of it (or Al Gore) unless you've at least seen it yourself. Thanks for the review!