3/13/07

This American Life


If you've never listened to the PRI program This American Life you're missing out! I have been a fan since I was first introduced to the show about 4 years ago and now it's my favorite postcast. It has to be one of the best examples of great storytelling available today, so you can imagine how excited I was to read recently that a TV version of the show was in the works. That's the good news, the bad news: it's going to be on Showtime.

I figured I would have to wait until the DVD version came out to watch an entire episode, that is until I learned that the local NPR affiliate was having a special screening of the pilot episodes at the Tower last night. I could watch the show without losing my soul to Showtime or waiting a year or so for a Hollywood Video rental.

Jason, Kristin, and I headed over to the theater to attend the screening. Naturally, there was a line - that's no surprise since it was a free preview. Only I couldn't figure out why some people were going in, while we were made to wait. Upon asking around we quickly learned that due to the high interest tickets were given out by the radio station. We were in the standby line!!! About ten minutes before showtime, the doors opened to the refugees in line and eventually, we were able to get in. We had to sit on the front row, but we made it.

It was totally worth it! Each program was 30 minutes long and the time couldn't pass quicker. Everyone in the audience were devoted TAL fans, so we laughed, cried, and cheered in unison to the program. It's going to be a great series and I can't wait to see a few more episodes. Does anyone out there have Showtime?

Here's a preview of the trailer:

No comments: