8/29/08

He Gets It

Last night I was very excited to watch history as Barack Obama accepted the Democratic nomination for President of the United States. This is something that many people never thought they'd see in their lifetimes, but there it was. It's no secret that I really like Senator Obama and feel that he should be the next president. Last night reinforced that judgment even further.

Obama addressed all the points on which he's been criticized: Lack of experience, no foreign policy background, too young, tax and spend liberal, and others. I can't say whether or not the speech turned people to the Illinois Senator, but they can't claim that they don't know who he is and what he stands for. As he ticked off a list of reason to avoid McCain and the Republicans, Obama claimed, "I get it". And he does, Obama may be slanted by the opposition as an elitist who is out of touch with Americans, but that couldn't be further from the truth.

This will be a close election come November, but Barack Obama's nomination has changed the game in our country. I truly believe that America is moving closer to it's promise of equality for all people. Citizens from around the country can see themselves reflected in the ideals of Senator Obama, now let's just hope we have a chance to celebrate on November 4th.

4 comments:

Annie said...

oh my! If you love the guy so much, why don't you marry him?

miche said...

You and Bryan need to keep talking. I need someone to convince me to vote for Obama since Hilary is out. Wouldn't vote for McCain either.

Bryan and Ellie said...

Jared -- I thought it was a good speech. Obama has two distinct styles: his lofty, soaring style (think of his 2004 speech); and his reflective, professorial intellectual style (think of his speech on race). This was something different -- it was a political speech, with both defensive and offensive moves, in dialogue with a specific opponent. I think it was exactly what he needed.

Bryan and Ellie said...

Michelle,

Obama came out to U2's "City of Blinding Lights". That alone should be enough to convince you to vote for him.

Bryan