
As part of my retreat to Logan, Tara came up to the UCET dinner and worked it out so she could spend the night. After a wonderful dinner at BlackStone, we decided to take advantage of our night out and we went to the movies. Rather than a summer blockbuster, we headed to the small opening of the latest Kevin Costner flick, Swing Vote.
I'll be the first to admit that Costner movies aren't what they once were, but this one was a pleasant surprise. I don't want to play the spoiler, but watching Kelsey Grammar and Dennis Hopper flipflop from one position to another to get Bud's vote is hilarious. Even though this movie is billed as a comedy, I think there is a thought provoking message at the heart of the film that makes you consider what your role is in the American political system. Some questions you face in the movie include: How far are people willing to sell themselves in order to get what they want? What does a good parent look like? How important is it for the average American to understand the issues facing the Nation? Can one person make a difference?
I really liked this movie and think it's a great watch during this election year. I know it won't win any oscars or break any box office records, but the last twenty minutes will really make you think and you just might get a bit misty...
No comments:
Post a Comment