8/6/08

Diary of a Red Sox Fan

It's been a while since I've written about the Sox, but with the events of the past week I couldn't keep quiet any longer. Boston has the fourth best record in baseball, but the month of July couldn't have gone any worse. Injuries, inconsistent play, and incompetence have plagued the Red Sox and the biggest culprit is Manny Ramirez.

I know that Manny has been a big part of the Sox recent success, but he gave up on the team about two weeks ago and things weren't going to get any better. Still, the question kept coming up - can you really trade a Hall of Famer who is still in the good years of his career? Even knowing there's no way you would get equal value in return I am so glad they dealt Ramirez. Watching Boston lose 5 out of 6 a week ago cemented the fact that this team wouldn't make the playoff with Manny in left field. Too many distractions, too much animosity, too little heart.

I don't know if the Red Sox will still make the playoffs, but I do know this - Manny can be Manny somewhere else....

No comments: