8/21/08

Bronze Medal

For the past two weeks everyone's been a buzz over the Beijing Olympics. Phelps mania has struck the country and it seems that our nation is on hold whenever a medal ceremony begins. Except me I guess. I really haven't been that interested in watching the games this time around. Don't get me wrong - I want the US to do well and it's great when our athletes bring home the gold. There's just other things I'd rather be watching than trampoline gymnastics.

You heard me. Trampoline gymnastics. It seems every time I turn on the games I am exposed to a bunch of sports that I don't care about and would never watch. Here are a few: Speed Walking, Table Tennis, Badminton, Rhythmic Gynmastics, Shooting, Fencing, Handball, and many others. I guess I'm not patient enough to sit through these kinds of events to watch Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Volleyball, Swimming, Track, Tennis, or any of the other sports I would watch. BTW - How can the IOC get rid of sports like Baseball and Softball and keep speed walking, it's an outrage. They're cutting down Jenny Finch and Cat Ostermann in their primes....

Two things I did get to witness that were amazing - I saw Micheal Phelps win his 8th gold medal to set the modern record. He is incredible and it was neat to see someone reach for their dream and get it. Another amazing accomplishment was watching Usain Bolt shatter the 100m and 200m records. I've never seen anyone that fast in my life. Those are short races and this guy seriously had time to coast to victory. It was awesome.

Now that I've gotten this off my chest all I can say is:
U-S-A, U-S-A.....

4 comments:

Angee said...

You totally put how I feel in a great blog post. Good work...

mbjorgensen said...

What....you aren't fascinated by speed walking. No in all seriousness I very much agree with you. There are so many events sponsored at the summer games that it becomes a little overwhelming.

BTW- Now that cheerleading is a sport do we have to sponsor cheerleaders for them?

Ross said...

Dido, I usually love to watch the games but I find that there are too many other things going on. There are too many boring sports that I just don't enjoy watching.

jfasioe said...

Don't you have a DVR? Record the games and watch the good stuff. The men's volleyball for the gold was while not as overly spectacular as Phelps, it was also not expected and given what happened to the coach and the team one of the great moments not just in this olympics but in any. Indoor volleyball is one of the best sports to watch with all the fakes and quick sets and rally scoring it is thrilling.