7/2/08

NECC Wrap Up

So, the conference officially ended today. This was the fourth time I've been to NECC and I keep wishing that I'll present at the conference one day. I went to several session on softwares or hardwares that I teach to see if I can learn anything new. While you pick up a trick here or there, most of what I've seen over the past few days is exactly what we're already teaching in Utah (although we're not too into Second Life). I guess that makes me feel good about what we're doing at UEN, but a bit sad that we can't move beyond what we've been doing for the past couple of years.

Still, there were a couple of high points today. I went to a session on geoRSS, which is a developing hybrid of technologies. Using GPS to mark a location for an object, mixed with creating an RSS feed to make those locations and objects subscribable. That's pretty cool. Think of what you can do with your FlickR photos and a Google map.

The other high point was the presentation I went to on cell phones. Besides recording your blog with your cell phone (Jott), another cool website was www.polleverywhere.com where you can create a live poll that updates with every vote. That would be awesome for a teacher looking to find some quick answers. Here's a look at some other websites I linked to throughout the conference.


No comments: