7/4/08

Happy 4th of July

The 4th of July is a great time to spend the day together as a family. BBQ's, games, and fireworks - of course - seem to dot the calendar. For us things are no different. Our holiday officially kicked off on the 3rd. Our neighborhood is developing some nice traditions, two of which are the Ball BBQ and the Cul de Sac of Fire. Since I had just flown back into town I was tired, but excited at the chance to see Tara and the kids. It was great to relax with friends and family and enjoy some of the fireworks fun.

For the past couple of years our fireworks watching experience has been fairly brief. Kennedy has burst into tears with the first screamer and so we've retreated back to the house without even smelling the burnt powder. Surprisingly, she actually seemed to enjoy herself this year. I think it had more to do with the multitude of friends watching the show with her and less to do with conquering any fireworks phobias. Alex got kind of nervous as the show kicked into high gear. He quickly calmed down was his "mimi" (binky) was in place and order was restored.

Today was actually a quiet day around our house. We worked on a few small projects in the morning and in the afternoon our paths split. Tara took the kids to the pool and I went and jack hammered concrete with Evan. I think I got the better end of the deal. Trust me, I would rather bust concrete than deal with the crowds at Murray Pool on the 4th of July.

After everyone freshened up the family came over to our house for a special 4th of July dinner - pizza and fruit. We played some games and waited for the country club fireworks to begin. Coleton fired off a few of his leftovers from last year as the opening act and then the real show began. It's nice when you can sit out on your front lawn and enjoy the show.

1 comment:

Liz said...

The picture of you with all the kids is hilarious. You look extremely happy! I'm seriously peeing my pants right now.